Much to my surprise, I arrived at camp this weekend to find out I was in charge of leading one of the small group Bible studies that met three times throughout the weekend. I was assigned a group of thirteen year-old kids, and got to read the Bible, play games, and do art projects with them for a few hours each day. They were quite the group to handle, but it was fun! I like being silly with kids. :)
2) The office
I spent an average of four hours a day in the office this summer, and it was fun to be able to retreat back to a place I remember so well and so fondly! I enjoy having a place to go when meals get too loud or when I'm overwhelmed with crazy kiddos. I have the special privelege of hanging out in the office!
3) Yelling
Due to an unfortunate circumstance involving a bunch of curse words and physical violence, I yelled at two kids. I've never yelled at camp before - never, in three and a half years...crazy! I guess my patience is tested when safety is a concern.
4) Puzzles
In a 48-hour span, we finished THREE 1000-piece puzzles. They kept us up until the wee hours of the night (morning??), and I may have gotten a little crabby, but we did it!
5) Volunteers
We have approximately twenty-five people on our summer staff, and we had nineteen people volunteering at this retreat. It was a volunteer-camper ratio of 1:6. I thought that was pretty impressive! It was great to see such good friends that I haven't seen in months. Anyway, we were all stacked in the basement of a lodge for living quarters. We had two toilets, three sinks, and ONE shower for the nineteen of us. Yuck! Saturday was honestly the first day in my entire life that I have noticed how bad I smell. Needless to say, I found a way to fit in a shower.
6) Snow fort
We built two awesome snow forts. As in, the kind you see in the Hoover playground where there are a bunch of tunnels intersecting and enough room for people to sleep! A few people slept in one of them Saturday but had to leave halfway through the night because it was so cold...oops!
7) Food
Mmmm, food is so much better when it is free! And when it's made for you. And when it comes from camp. Camp oatmeal is probably my favorite thing in the universe (okay, not really, but pretty close!). I even got to bring home a tupperware of extra food!
8) Banangrams (Scrabble)
I like games...a lot. I like words...a lot. I like word games...a lot! Friends at camp sure love word games a lot, too! It was fun to play and make silly words and make up rules and laugh.
9) Boot hockey (broomball)
There was an excellent full-size hockey court cleared on the lake, and we played a few rousing games of broomball. SO COLD (turns out it is windy on the lake??), but so great!
10) Sledding, skiing, snowshoeing
I couldn't bring my cross-country skiis to camp because I had five people in my itty-bitty car. But, luckily, camp has some awesome skiis (from the '70s), that we could borrow. Similarly, camp has a bunch of old snowshoes that are great to tromp around in. And, we made this sledding hill from the lodge all the way down to the lake (thankfully there was a clearing in the trees) and sledded down on inner tubes.
It was a great way to spend a weekend! Some day, I am going to have to stop working at camp for the summer, and that's going to be really difficult for me. It really is one of the best places on Earth!
No comments:
Post a Comment