On Friday, I was scheduled to leave with Alex and Cassie at 4:00 PM to arrive at camp by 6:00 PM. In the afternoon, Alex called and let me know that there had been a mixup in carpooling and we had to drive to Hamline in St. Paul to pick up Harry. Okay, fun! Road trip.
4:30 PM rolled around and I still hadn't been able to get ahold of Cassie. I had called her room and cell phones, texted herc, called her roommate, and texted her boyfriend. I was fed up, so I finally just went to her room and knocked on the door - she was asleep! Her alarm didn't go off in the morning and she slept ALL day. Oops. So, at 5:15 PM (an hour and a half late), we frantically drove over to MSUM and picked up Alex and headed off.
We drove to the cities and got Harry from Hamline, arriving around 9:00 PM and leaving at 9:30 PM, stopping briefly for Subway dinner. Then, after a couple wrong turns, we took an interesting route to camp and arrived at 11:30 PM - a mere five hours late, oops! Everyone was heading to bed, so we (of course) stayed up and had a ball.
Anyway, I had a blast. The trip involved nine hours of driving, five hours of sleeping, and eleven hours of being awake and having fun at camp. I had to head back last night so that I could play in church this morning (groan), but oh well!
"Then, after a couple wrong turns, we took an interesting route to camp and arrived at 11:30 PM"
ReplyDeleteThat sounds pretty much like my first trip up to Clearwater. :-)
Also sounds like when Devlin and I went to visit Robert in Cape Cod in 2005. First we ended up going northwest for about an hour without realizing it (we were coming from Boston and Cape Cod is southeast from there). Then there's a slight left that's not on the mapquest directions near Robert's house and we drove up and down a pitch black rural road about 3 times at 2am before we somehow figured out the problem (we couldn't call Robert at that hour, of course). The next evening we went for a walk around the neighborhood at 9pm and some drunken crazy person called out "FREAKS!" as they drove by. That just about summarized the entire the 28 hour visit.
ReplyDelete