Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Cobber ring!

Our Cobber rings arrived today! This is kind of a big deal. Here is the Wikipedia description of Cobber rings, because the words I would write just wouldn't do it justice. Anyway, I am SO excited! Concordia is GREAT!

"The Cobber Ring is a longstanding symbol of Cobber pride. Once a student has obtained Junior status they are allowed to purchase a Cobber Ring which is Gold and on the face it has a gold Cobber "C" with the class year inset in it on a maroon stone. The ring is now thought of to be a "rite of passage" for those who obtain one. As stated by Dr. Carroll L. Engelhardt, Professor of History, Concordia College, "It eventually became an important symbol and a ready means of recognition for family members worldwide." Early on the ring was designed by the class that was receiving them, but this changed in 1919 when students decided that Concordia should have a standard ring design. In February 1920, Concordia Alumnus Oscar Martinson '09, a jeweler in Moorhead designed the ring with its gold and ruby design, which is still the standard of today. The oldest ring dates back to 1918, and a 1920 one that has the new and still used design. The rings today are bought from the company Jostens and Jostens says that more than fifty percent of each class' students buy the ring."



P.S. I know I just posted, but this deserved its own entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment