Okay, so I finished my World Musics field project this morning at 9:57 AM (it was due at 11:00 AM, I was pretty proud!). I had originally intended to write a rap, but that didn't work. So then I was going to videotape myself making a documentary, and that didn't work. So I settled on a journal of correspondence with my teachers, a blog, and a poem. The blog was titled "Super Great Field Project." It was super great. Here is the poem, I think you might get a kick out of it.
I first joined choir around the age of three
In Cherub Choir with my director, Lee
Lee studied lots of places - Luther College, for one
Michigan, Westminster, and Cambridge for fun!
Lee also taught me handbells, Jennifer as well
For twelve years now I've known how to ring a bell
Jennifer went to Lawrence to study Music Ed
And the U of M for music, at least I think that's what she said?
I started piano lessons with Pat at the age of five
She helped me reach the pedals, similarly when I learned to drive
Pat studied Music Ed while at Winona State
And performance at the U, her talent was innate
At the age of fourteen, I switched teachers to Sue
It was a hard transition, but the right thing to do
After studies in Colorado, Sue's teaching was first-rate
And grad work at the U, golly she was great!
I studied violin for fun and kicks and giggles
Sarah taught me lessons, and all that rhymes is squiggles...?
Mr. Gresser was my teacher for Choir in fifth grade
He always wore bell-bottoms that I think were handmade
I asked my teachers to tell me about their past
Who their teachers were and the impact that still lasts
I wanted to find out about how my teachers learned
And what was passed on down as time quickly turned
In their learning, my teachers valued the same things that I do
A passion for music and teaching, and energy in the classroom, too
An openness to life, confidence, and style
Enthusiasm, technique, interpretation, all the while
They learned patience and direction, focus and respect
Positivity, connections, encouragement, and intellect
It was fun for me to hear about when my teachers were my age
And what they have retained now when they're on stage
(the teaching stage, of course!)
My teachers learned from their teachers, they say
Music is life, it's a love per se
But in Choir and the classroom, teaching is the key,
It's a way of getting through, it's the way to be
Teachers give themselves to kids, and are happy in result
If that's the case, I can't wait to be an adult!
Teachers give kids the gift, of music as an art
For music is love, and it comes from the heart
My teachers gave advice that' been passed through time
Their words of wisdom rhyme (thank goodness!)
Their thoughts are from the heart, sentimental and true
Rewards are many, and worries are few
Put child before music, to be noble and fair
Teach with love and kindness and you'll make it anywhere
Be tender with critique, but firm with your words
Every word you speak is another one heard
Practice unconditional love, and focus your thought
Make a little trouble, but be sure to not get caught!
Encourage positively, and remember to connect
Teach to each student, and always use respect
Know what you're doing, and be a musician, too
Care about your students, and let them care about you
Never stop learning, nor loving to learn
Be extra patient, and always take your turn
Work with parents often, set goals to begin
Speak from your soul, and play from within
Practice long and hard, even when you teach
Take time to yourself, head to the beach!
Wednesday, December 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Great poem! Glad it wasn't a rap.
ReplyDeleteI still think you could perform that as a rap...
ReplyDelete