Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Updates!

Music Classroom

Recorders: t's our last week of recorders! I had no idea I was excited, until I told the kids they're almost done. Though they were disappointed, I have no doubt that recorders will come back to haunt me in my dreams (nightmares?) over the next few weeks. I will miss the kids working independently, excitedly awaiting approval they passed a song, and learning music fundamentals.

Orff Instruments: However, I am PUMPED to announce that it is Orff time in Music class! One of my favorite parts of the year is when we study the different families of the orchestra, particularly the percussion family. I am blessed to have enough xylophones, metallophones, and glockenspiels for every student to play. This "band" of malleted instruments is supplemented with myriad rhythm sticks, guiros, sand blocks, triangles, hand drums, maracas, tambourines, etc. Two new favorites this year in Kindergarten: learning to say the word "glockenspiel," and using amazing ribbon wands to dance.


Wizard of Oz

Our first performance of "Wizard of Oz" is quickly approaching - thirteen days until show-time! We joined the cast this week, rehearsing in our "nook" at the back of the stage. The orchestra is fabulous. Again, I feel blessed to work with such talented adult musicians from the community. We've had some great moments and made a number of "Winkie" jokes, and as of yet, I can still say I might be sad when it's over. Ask me again how I feel in a week... ;)
Masters Programs

The process of beginning a Master's program has already been more of a nightmare than I could have imagined. I've spent countless hours searching summer programs, online/distance courses, and options far and near from home. My group of teachers from Aitkin gave up on our first plan (St. Mary's University in Winona) after they revealed to us the schedule...every Tuesday / Wednesday during the summer, and every Saturday during  the school year from 8:00am - 4:30pm. No way! I was also unenthralled (is that a word?) with being forced to earn my K-12 Reading Licensure with the program. I would much rather select electives more applicable to my field.

After much discussion, research, and conversation, five teachers from Aitkin have applied to Minnesota State University in Moorhead's Master's of Science in Curriculum and Instruction program. This program is offered online, and I am able to earn an emphasis in music (Kodaly). In order to complete this emphasis, I will be taking a number of courses in the summer, both at MSUM in Moorhead, and at St. Thomas in the Cities. Our program will be completed in December, 2014, but I will have one 3-credit course remaining in the summer of 2014. Uffda!


Summer

Speaking of which, summer is quickly filling up! After a tough decision to stop working at camp, I figured I'd better look for ways to fill my summer. Lo and behold, I had no trouble there...
I have three weddings on the calendar, an MMTA conference, four weeks of summer music courses spread between MSUM and St. Thomas, hopefully two weeks working at Diabetes camp, time volunteering at Clearwater, and of course, the Lake! I'm curious to see how all of these plans unfold...

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment