Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Today!

Today was busy! And really great! Here are a few things I did today...

1. Yoga! I led early-morning (only 7:30am, not that bad) yoga with Alex. We like to start out with a theme, since it's silly yoga. So, we picked the themes of Easter and breakfast and figured we'd let the campers go from there. Requests included dinosaurs, outerspace, and unicorns. With our twenty-two campers, we combined unicorns/dinosaurs/outerspace/breakfast/Easter to fill a half an hour with adventurous yoga. My favorite move was the pancake - you lay flat on your back and don't move, because you are a pancake! Pretty relaxing. :)

2. Sailing! Meghan took me sailing during free time today. There was hardly any wind and I can't say I remember much from sailing camp three years ago, but it was a great day to get out on the water.

3. Dance! During campers' choice in the afternoon, Cassie and I led dancing. We had twelve high-school juniors and seniors sign up, so it was a really fun and silly activity. We made up a few dances to teach to the campers, and we let them make up their own to perform for each other (they were actually really great!). Then, we played "freeze," an improv game where two people dance up front and when someone else yells "freeze," they take the place of one of the people up front. Finally, we led circle/square dancing. During Creative Arts week last week, the families get together for a hoedown each night (it's super intense). They dance late into the night, and they're always really great dancers because of family tradition and coming to Creative Arts for years and years. So, we had a blast teaching the campers circle dances this afternoon.

4. Delivered treats! I baked treats this weekend - campfire crack (trail mix/Chex mix, don't worry!) and Special K bars. I delivered them to cabins this afternoon, bringing the bars to counselors I knew were having a tough week. I also packed some campfire crack to send to friends working at other camps this summer. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to mail the Special K bars because they were too goopy and would've melted.

5. Helped in the kitchen! Our kitchen volunteer this evening really wanted to play the all-camp game, so I volunteered to jump in and take her place. I spent a few hours prepping food, mopping, washing dishes, etc...none of which was very fun. However, Tuesday's theme is "hospitality," and I feel like I did my part today!

It was a really fantastic day at camp, even though I am exhausted. I'm looking forward to an evening of singing/reading to cabins, playing NERTS/cribbage, and reading the books I just got in the mail! Woohoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment