"Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car."
I've still got a lot to figure out in my life. Today I registered for classes for my last semester of college. Twelve hours earlier, I completed my first night of parent-teacher conferences.
Every day, it's becoming more and more real that after graduation, I don't know what I'm doing. I'll literally be the kid who moves home and lives in his/her parents' basement. I've never had to live with the sense of not knowing what's coming next.
Through school, I always knew that I'd have another year of study. After high school graduation, I knew I would be going to college. For quite awhile, I had no idea where that would be - but I knew I would get into a school and attend it in the fall.
Now, I know where I would like to be - teaching, anywhere and anything. However, it's no longer up to ME to decide where and what I'll be doing. I play a big role in this decision, but I have to apply and be accepted. After talking to several recently-hired teachers, I understand that I may be competing against, literally, hundreds of other candidates for each job.
Looking at my life as a big gaping hole is scary, but it's a great feeling. I plan to work at camp and during the summer, apply to every job I can find. In the fall, I'll either begin teaching or do something else. And who knows what that "something else" may be - it may bring incredible lessons and experiences that I can't even dream up right now.
It's time to quit my "post-formal thought" processes and head to bed. Enough philosophical considerations for one night! :)
Tuesday, November 9, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
As Dad might say, there's always law school. :-)
ReplyDeleteJust kidding, you are awesome and someone will hire you!